Thursday, 19 November 2015

Feature Artist at Anything But Cute!

Hello everyone!

I was delighted to be selected as Feature Artist at Anything But Cute Challenge Blog - really chuffed!

The details for the challenge are as follows:-


"Its Ornamental!  With the holidays just around the corner, we would like you to create a mixed media ornament for you Christmas Tree or a Christmas decor item for you house or table"

The challenge hostess is Cec

What a fabulous and inspiring challenge!  I wanted to do a Christmas decor item, because I like to place things "artfully" - group things together.  (OK - the reality is, I group things together artfully, the banana knocks them all over (more than once) and starts moaning!)

I came up with this:-


Here is how it was done:-


I started off with a box frame canvas, some bells, a frame cut from scrapbook paper, I cut out a crown from foam board, a cotton reel and 2 faux microscope slides (see the tutorial), Before you start drill a little hole in the top of the frame,


Paint the back and sides of the canvas a deeper colour than your paper frame.  Die cut and glitter some snowflakes and glue onto the back of the canvas, then glue on your paper frame.


Cut out a bit of card and shape it so it looks like icicles and glue it on the top of the frame then texture paste over the card and the inside of the frame and add glitter whilst its still wet.  Cover the crown and ink both the crown and frame edges.  Then use the same technique from the faux slides to go around the crown so it looks like soldering.

I rummaged around and found some lace, some of which I dyed using tea for a vintage look.  The key is 10 layers of card stuck together cut from a Tim Holtz die.  The 25 comes from his salvage stickers collection.
Sink and glue the key into the foam board.  Then glue the layers of lace onto the back of the frame. I decided I wanted the frame to stand proud from the cotton reel, so I drilled a hole and glued the doweling into it.
I added glitter Stickles all over.  Tie the bells onto some thread and glue the thread on the back of the slide and up through the pre-drilled hole in the top of the frame.  Glue it securely - the slide hangs freely and moves slightly.
Finally glue on the crown and glitter it up where you want - I so enjoyed making this that I made another one as well!

Enjoy!

Thank you for visiting and I hope you will take part in the Anything but Cute Challenge - its such a lovely place to visit!

Finally - how can I let this week pass without saying that my prayers and thoughts are with Paris xxx

8 comments:

Pamellia Johnson said...

Such a wonderful set of Christmas decorations Cathryn! I just love all the details you included and your textures and images are so wonderfully festive!! I can't believe you made two of them, wow, you went all out!! Thank you so much for all your hard work, it is such a treat to have you as our Feature Artist and Anything But Cute for our "It's Ornamental" challenge! hugs :)

Kris said...

Hello, how are you! Congrats Cathryn, you deserve it!! So many details on this, I love the key, all those layers together, beautiful. And that snow ... gorgeous!!!

sheila 77 said...

I'm always amazed at your creativity using ordinary and exotic-ordinary materials.
Congrats on being Feature Artist over at ABC, lucky them.
What do I especially like about your wonderful work here (apart from everything)?
I like the crown top, there's something fairy-tale about it, and I love that you have made the key from ten layers of card and the tea-dyed lace.
And I like that you enjoyed making it so much that you made another different one.

Pawsitively Creative said...

Firstly-I am with you on sending thoughts and prayers to Paris.

Secondly-These two designs are the bees knees for being grouped together and taking center stage for your Christmas decor. Wowzers! There are so many techniques and details in both designs and everything collaborates amazingly. That snow is out of this world dearie! Your faux microscope technique is fun (I used microscope slides everyday so I know what I'm talkin bout) and so realistic! Amasballs projects and thank you so very much for being our Featured Artist at Anything But Cute for our "It's Ornamentsl" challenge. Hugz. ~Niki

Buttons said...

Absolutely LOVE them Cathryn!!! That snow around the inside of the first frame is so realistic and I love how they both balance beautifully on the little spool stands. Jenny x

Sara Barker said...

Cathryn, your ornaments are so festive and detailed! I love the snow on the inside--it is indeed realistic, and your faux slide technique had me fooled, too! The love and hard work you put into these really shines,and we were so honored to have you as our Feature Artist at Anything But Cute this month! You are a brilliant, talented artist! Hugs!

MakaArt said...

Great Work! ;-)

Team Clark said...

Such a cool project! Love it entirely! Congrats on your FA spot - well done!